Sunday, May 20, 2007

Breastfeeding

My issues with breastfeeding started immediately. At the hospital, Estelle was too sleepy after birth and wouldn't stay awake for a full feeding. (I blame the drugs) We kept trying and only ended up frustraited. Finally, before leaving the hospital, the lactation consultant gave me a "game plan" to use until breastfeeding was established. The plan was for me to offer the breast at each feeding. If she took it, great. If not, I would feed her expressed milk and then I would pump and store new milk for the next feeding if she refused again.

When I got home, the plan worked and soon enough Estelle was taking the breast only. However, a new problem arose in place of the old one. Engorgement... which is supposed to last only a day or two after the milk comes in. Well... it didn't. Turns out, I have what's known as "overabundant milk supply"... meaning I produce too much milk. Every time I want to feed her, I have to express some milk BEFORE I feed her in order to soften things up so she can latch. Otherwise, the breasts are too hard for her to get a good latch. In only a couple minutes of expressing, I'm usually getting a few ounces per side. I know it doesn't seem like much... but when you consider how often this happens during they day, you will see that it adds up... fast. I've only been home from the hospital for a week and I've already stored 17 5oz bags of milk. That's more than 2 bottles full per day! I've now started just dumping the extra milk as there's no more room in my freezer and I've already got enough frozen to last though quite a few babysitting feedings.

I'm now trying to decrease my milk supply by avoiding expressing whenever possible. I let her try to latch before I pump now.. although it rarely works. And I've given up pumping between feedings... which I occasionally did for rellief. (engorgement hurts!) I'm just hoping my supply decreases soon. I leak all the time an it's gotten to be quite annoying.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Been there done that- It took a while I don't remember how long before the leaking and engorgment stops- but it was longer than a week I know that- plus then you'll have the joy of growth spurts here soon in which your supply will be increased by feeding EVEN MORE FREQUENTLY by your little one- maybe you shouldn't try getting rid of your supply JUST yet- since growth spurts are on the way... just a thought.

Anonymous said...

I remember engorgment - oh I dread that again- I vaguely remember the milk coming in engorgment I remember more recently the weaning engorgment- if you get clogged ducts that is the WORST- I pumped a lot too and nursed there would be bottles and freezer bags of milk all the time. I couldn't go anywhere without nursing or leaking.

Anonymous said...

or if I actually USED the bottled milk- wasn't much of a break because I"d have to go pump in a bathroom because I"d be overflowing

Larissa said...

I just want them to be soft enough that she can latch without a problem. It's really hard for her to latch when they're so full. I'm really hoping she has a growth spurt soon. It'll be nice when she's able to drain at least one side. As it is she only halfway empties one side.