Friday, March 14, 2008

Glorious Sleep


This week, we started putting Estelle into her crib at night. Previously she'd shared our bed, but she's just gotten too big for that now. So, I decided it was time for the switch. The first night was rough. She woke up every 5-20 minutes and screamed most of the night. I didn't get much sleep until 5:00 in the morning when I brought her back into our bed. Sooo, the next evening we went out to Bed, Bath, & Beyond and forked out $30 bucks for the Homedics Lullaby Sound Spa. It was well worth it. This little machine is great. It plays a variety of soothing "white noises" including heartbeats, rain, ocean, and soft lullabys. Estelle seems to enjoy the rain. It also projects a moving picture on the ceiling to entertain baby until they fall asleep. There are three different picture "disks". So far we've only used the one. At first I wasn't sure if the white noise would help much, but it has. The first night using it, Estelle only woke up once an hour and usually just for a few minutes only crying a little before falling back asleep... a deffinate improvement. Our second night using it, Estelle seemed to associate the rain sound with sleep and went to sleep just 10 minutes after I put her down. She woke up a few times that night, but went back to sleep without much of a fuss. And last night, was heavenly. I got up once to feed her and once to put her binkie back in and that was it! And this morning, I thought she might like to come into our room to cuddle, but she couldn't fall back to sleep in my bed. She just kept tossing and turning and whining. So, I took her back to her crib, put her "rain" on and she fell back to sleep almost instantly. I was amazed.

No comments: