Monday, November 06, 2006

This is Not a Beer Gut

At the wedding on Saturday night, for the first time a complete stranger, not only recognized that I was pregnant, but also asked me when I was due.

It happened as TJ and I were making our rounds passing out online access cards at the reception. As I handed the card to a very pregnant lady, out of the blue she asked when I was due. She did not ask IF I was pregnant. No. She skipped right to, "when are you due?". I was shocked. That morning, I had chosen to wear a simple, non-maternity black sweater instead of wearing one of my new maternity tops because the top seemed to be yelling out "hey, I'm PREGNANT!" and I did not think that appropriate quite yet. So, I'd chosen a simple black sweater and she knew I was pregnant anyways.

So, for the rest of the night, I was quite pleased with myself, just knowing that at least one person did not assume my belly was just fat. As I was mulling over this little victory, a man at our table leaned over and asked "Are you pregnant?". That makes two! So, now I know that at least 2 out of the 150 people at that wedding thought I looked pregnant rather than fat. That is good news indeed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yah! that's always nice- however, when a guy asks that I wonder if he realizes the guts that question takes--- ppl would ask me that all the time when i was pg with tyler-- and one time, I admit, I said, no...pause... awkward pause, he apologized - but then i admitted- ok i'm just kidding yes i am--- but really, if you ask if i am- then i say no- you basically just dug yourself into a hole LOL-