Friday, November 10, 2006

Tuggings and Flutterings

At around 12 weeks, I adopted a habit of concentraiting very hard on my uterus in hopes that I might feel the baby move. I found this especially easy to do during church, which is much safer than while driving since I should be concentraiting on the road. Anyways, my efforts brought forth no fruit during the first few attempts. I thought that if I'd concentrait hard enough, I'd be able to distinguish the ever-faint "flutterings" I'd heard so much about. But no, every time I felt something, two seconds later... I farted. So at least I learned exactly what gas bubbles on their way down feel like. But that is not was I was looking for.

So, my efforts continued until about a week ago during church, I am certain I felt something different. My best description is that it was a light "tugging" feeling. Not so much a "fluttering" as I'd been told to expect. It was more of a brief tightening followed by a relaxing. It felt, for all the world, like an involuntary muscle spasm. You know, when you're watching a movie or reading and suddenly a muscle in your arm or leg simply starts moving on it's own. Or does that not happen to everyone? Anyways, the general idea is that this sudden movement did not originate in your brain. It just happened rather suddenly on it's own, and then was gone just as quickly as it came. I concentraited extra hard for the rest of service and was pleased when it happened 2 or 3 more times, never followed by a toot.

Now, I'm nearly 15 weeks along and these feelings have become quite regular and have been joined by the occasional "flutterings" which usually occur right after a "tugging". My best guess is that the baby first stretches or arches it's back, giving me the tugging feeling, then is moves around a little more perhaps peddaling it's legs, which gives me the "fluttering" feeling. I most often get these feelings while I'm sitting, watching a movie, or driving, often taking me by surprize. I am now quite certain that what I am feeling is the baby.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been feeling the baby too today i must have been turned the right way on the couch because it was a much more dramatic movement- baby must have been at the right place at the right time- i get the little crawling feel inside or flutters if you will--- are you sure you aren't having braxton hicks contractions? sometimes the uterus contracts that might be the tightening you explained... that what to expect book might have more on it. just a thought...

Larissa said...

It wasn't as much of a "tightening" as a "tugging" and it lasted for about a second before it relaxed. Almost like the uterus was pushed on for a second, then then the baby relaxed. I've heard of braxton hicks and it really didn't seem like those. Thanks for the thoughts though.