Thursday, September 07, 2006

Bloodwork

I went in yesterday for my bloodwork. They're testing me for 8 different kinds of blood clotting problems. I also requested another beta so I could know if my levels were increasing well. Well, I wouldn't have requested the beta if I knew how much blood they were planning on taking. They took 8 tubes of blood! I was horrified.

The nurse kept flipping through a big book that very much resembled a phone book. She would compare the doctors order to the book, then pull out one of the color coded blood tubes. First a blue one, then another blue, 2 purples, and a big red one. Then she put back one of the purple ones and pulled out a blue, then another blue, and replaced the original purple she had put back. Finally, she topped it off with one last red one. As she was doing this, I jokingly commented "Will I have any blood left when you're done?". She only grunted and continued preparing the needle.

She popped one tube on the end of the needle after another. I sat there, just waiting to feel something. Surely a body couldn't loose that much blood and not have any reaction. I waited, expecting some kind of tingling or perhaps dizziness. Nothing. When she'd finally finished filling the last tube I was surprized that I hadn't passed out or anything.

Then I was swept with worry. What if I the baby needed all that blood for nutrients. What if there wouldn't be enough blood left for me AND the growing embryo. After she'd put a band-aid on the needle hole, I got up and slowly walked out the door. I truly expected to pass out at any minute. But I didn't. I didn't even feel the slightest bit dizzy, only a slight cramping in my pelvis, but that was nothing unusual.

I drove straight home, ready to pull over at the faintest dizziness. I made it home without a problem. But, for the sake of precaution, I immediately ate a plate of lasagna and drank half a bottle of water before I headed to bed for a 2 hour nap. I was not going to take any chances.

No comments: