Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Pregnant for the 2nd time

May 9th, 2006

I'd been thinking about it for days. Could I be pregnant? My increased appetite, constant sleepiness, and extra high basal body temperatures had me wondering. Although these symptoms could be symptoms of pregnancy, they are often symptoms of an impending period. Knowing this, I would not get my hopes up too high. So, after spending , most of the morning today working in the yard, I decided to just go ahead and take a pregnancy test to calm my mind, if nothing else. If I got a negative result, I would be able to continue my day, discouraged, but at least I'd be able to focus. I set the test strip by the sink and watched for a moment. When I saw only one line, I sighed, picked up a magazine, and tried to get my mind off the disappointment I'd become so familiar with. Thirteen unsuccessful months of trying left me less than optimistic. When none of the many fertility tests showed any problems, I was discouraged. I guess I would have rather learned there was a problem so I could know what needed to be fixed. But, everything came back normal and I was left wondering why I wasn't getting pregnant. After browsing a few pages in my magazine, I glanced at the test one last time before throwing it away and to my astonishment I saw what appeared to be a faint line. I rubbed my eyes and looked again. Sure enough, there WAS a very faint line!

Immediately I ran to the living room, tears streaming down my face, and cried as I prayed the most earnest prayer I've ever prayed. On my knees in front of the couch I prayed that this would in fact be a pregnancy. I made a promise to God that if this truly is a pregnancy, and if it results in a healthy child, that we would do the very best we can to raise this child to be a God fearing Christian so that someday this child may accomplish great things for the Kingdom. After my prayer I went back and looked at the test strip again. The line had become much more distinct and there was no doubt in my mind that it was in fact a positive test. Throughout the rest of the day I carried the test with me, occasionally looking at it to reassure myself that it was true. I could hardly believe it. When TJ got home from work, I took him outside to show him the progress I'd made on our yard. While out there, I presented him with a gift. Inside the small box was a pacifier with a note on it congratulating him. I also put the test strip in there, in case he was hesitant to believe, as I was. The moment he realized what this meant, a smile swept across his face. He picked me up and hugged me in delight. “This is the best gift ever!” he proclaimed. And I have to say, I agree with him. This was the best gift ever, and I thanked God for it!

No comments: