Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Hysterolsalpingogram

April 19, 2006

This was the test I had hoped I'd never have to have done. I'd hoped beyond hope that I might get pregnant before I ever needed to have this test performed. I'd heard the test could be painful and was deffinately uncomfortable. I did NOT want to have it done. At this point though, I had very little choice. It had to be done.

I arrived at my appointment 15 minutes early and sat worriedly in the waiting room. I had taken 2 tylenal, and an ibprofin before I left to hopefully reduce any pain. When my name was finally called, I was ushered to the back by a stiff old woman. She quickly explained how I was to put on two paper gowns. Hardly able to concentrait, I re-itterated what she had just told me, to be sure I had I right. She nearly glared at me before telling me I had it right. Once I was changed, I walked barefoot along the tile floor into a dark room with a very large machine next to a table. I was told to sit on the table as the rude old woman prepared some objects on a tray. I did not like the look of the tools she was laying out. After a while I was left alone in my worry, eyeing the object on the try and just praying the whole thing would be over quickly. A short balding man came in and introduced himself as the radiologist who would be preforming my HSG today. He seemed nice enough, but I was still very nervous and just wanted to be done.

I was then told to lay back as he inserted a COLD speculum. So far so good. He then procedded to insert a catheter for "injecting the dye" he explained. A balloon was then blown up inside my uterous to "anchor" the chatheter in place. That was uncomfortable but not painful. Next, the dye was injected. It was almost hot feeling and I could feel it spilling out onto the table a little. Soon after that I felt menstral-like cramping as the radiologist directed me to turn this way and that as he snapped pictures with the x-ray machine. I was instructed to hold still a few times and couldn't help but think to myself. How the heck am I stupposed to hold still while I'm cramping, have a speculum in my vagina, and hot glow-in-the-dark ink oozing inside of me? And just like that, it was over. The balloon was deflated, catheter removed, and speculum taken out. The bossy old lady directed me to use the restroom and wipe off any excess fluid before putting my cloths back on. I was more than happy to rush over to the restroom and put my cloths back on. I was glad I had brought a pad. Once I was dressed, they told me the results would be given to me later and that I could go home.

I hurried out the door and to my car, glad to get out of that place. The menstral-like cramping had not stopped and actually seemed to have gotten worse. I ignored it, put my car in gear and started toward home. A few minutes on the road and BAM, it hit me. The cramps were AWEFUL. I nearly pulled over it was so bad. Tears streaming down my cheeks, I wondered how long it was going to last. Should I call them back? Was this normal? He said to expect only "mild" cramping. This was far from mild! As these thoughts were going through my head, the cramping began to lessen and in less than 1o minutes were gone entirely. I called my mom and cried to her on the phone the rest of the way home.

No comments: