Tuesday, September 05, 2006

hCG levels for 3rd pregnancy

I had blood drawn the Monday after I found out I was pregnant. By then I was at 14 DPO (days past ovulation). I repeated the blood test on Wednesday at 16 DPO. My hCG results are as follows:

14 DPO 130 (typical range 17-119)
16 DPO 462 (typical range 33-223)

As you can see, my doubling time was 26 hours and by 16 DPO my hCG levels were more than double a normal pregnancy. Such high levels can mean one of a few different things:

A very strong Pregnancy
Twins
Molar Pregnancy
Down Syndrom

Obviously, I'm hoping for a normal pregnancy, but I have to admit, I have entertained the idea of twins. I know that twins are higher risk and require more bedrest, but can you imagine after our two previous miscarriages, getting two this time? It's foolish thinking, but I can't help but wonder.

I'm quite worried about the other two possibilities. I would hate to get my hopes up only to have a possibly canerous molar pregnancy. And, although I would gladly accept a baby even with down sydrom, I would hope that my child would not be born with such difficulties.

I have an early ultrasound scheduled for 6 weeks this time. That's next Monday. I can heardly wait and I'm hoping for all that I'm worth that I might get to see a heartbeat.

No comments: